Cornell '69, 50 Years Later

I was a senior government major at Cornell University in the spring of 1969, when the campus was in turmoil after an armed takeover of the student union building by eighty members of the campus's Afro-American society.

This site is a discussion forum for participants and observers of those events. It was launched at the 40th anniversary of those events, and continues now with the 50th.

To contribute your thoughts and reflections, click on the "Comment" tab at the end of the "Remembering 1969" post or any of the other posts.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Don Downs Reflects on 1969

Donald Downs, author of Cornell '69 reflects on 1969, and on his own book (published in 1999), in response to David Halperin's essay here on "Remembering the Straight--Without Pleasure, Without Pride."

[The following is Don Down's email to me, posted here with his permission]

Halperin's piece is very interesting, indeed, and I shared many of his thoughts and feelings at the time and now. When I wrote my book, I had to maintain the perspective of a researcher, not letting my own feelings and thoughts take over the narrative (though they did serve as data to some extent). Of course, as my book proceeded, it did take a narrative turn that ended up siding with Sindler, Berns, LaFeber, Kagan, and that camp. But it would have been interesting to have been able to be more personal, as Halperin was able to be.

Since writing the book, I have more sympathy for faculty's reversal, if only because it very possibly prevented a disaster from befalling Cornell. But then members of the faculty should have committed their own political act by doing something dramatic to show how angry they were about the necessity that confronted them, and how Cornell had sacrificed something that matters. (They could have submitted a collective resignation, or, short of that, a collective sit-in, or strike, or something similar.) As it was, a few resigned, while most limped back to their homes and their scholarly commitments. The lack of a political response meant that the trauma and recrimination would linger longer that otherwise would have been the case, for I believe that many would have regained a measure of honor that was sorely needed. I wish I had had this thought in writing Cornell `69, as it would have made for a more powerful ending. But, as you know, thoughts come when they will.

Regardless, I thank Halperin for his penetrating insight into the crisis, and his own reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment